A great classic of the Italian cooking: LA PASTA AL FORNO (BAKED PASTA).
You only have to mention it and it is a treat at once! “Pasta al forno” is the meal on Sundays, it is the family gathered at table, the grandmother who cooks for a crowd, it is cheerfulness, it is flavour, it is warmth.
When baked pasta is mentioned we often think of lasagne, but actually there are a lot of different recipes with so many different ingredients, often leftovers.
Baked pasta is whatever has as its basis partially boiled pasta to which béchamel (but not always) and other ingredients such as meat, fish, vegetables, eggs etc… are added.
Yet to be a real baked pasta there must be a crisp, golden brown layer on top … otherwise what sort of baked pasta is it?!
The following recipe is one of the many variations of baked pasta that can be made in a short time and with few simple ingredients.
- 300 GR TUBE PASTA TYPE
- 250 GR BUTTON MUSHROOMS
- 200 GR SPECK thinly sliced
- 150 ML CREAM
- 70 GR GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
- 200 GR MOZZARELLA
- 1 SHALLOT
- OIL q.s.
- SALT q.s.
1. First fill a saucepan with water, add salt and put it on. When the water boils put the pasta on to cook.
2. Cut a shallot thinly and brown it in a pan with little oil.
3. Chop the speck roughly and add it to the sautéd shallot.
4. Clean the button mushrooms, slice them and put them in the pan with the speck. Add salt and put the lid on, and let it cook for about ten minutes.
5. Pour 100 ml cream and let it cook for approximately other two minutes.
6. Strain the pasta al dente and leaving it in the colander cool it under jets of cold tap water.
7. Take a baking dish and put some mushroom sauce and some mozzarella cubes on the bottom. Add the cooked pasta, the other part of mozzarella, the remaining sauce and the parmesan. Mix the ingredients well and add 50 ml cream. Sprinkle with some more parmesan and bake at 200° for ten minutes.
8. Serve it hot.